March 23, 2009

History Dish Mondays: The Blue Blazer

Text not available

The Blue Blazer was the signature drink of infamous mid-19th century bartender Jerry Thomas, author of The Bartender's Guide. At a recent party I attempted the Blue Blazer, and it didn't turn out too badly: I scalded myself only slightly, and the crowd sure was impressed.

I recently saw the drink poured at the Pre-Prohibtion Cocktail Party at Keen's Steakhouse, in New York. The video below will explain all:




You'll notice that all the bartenders pouring in the video are dudes. I'm tired of this bartending boys club--I've resolved to practice the Blue Blazer until I can pour just as good as them, and look hotter doing it.

I also caught wind of a guy who is mixing and drinking his way through The Bartender's Guide. You can read his blog here.

197 Blue Blazer Use two large silver plated mugs with handles 1 wine glass of Scotch whiskey 1 do boiling water Put the whiskey and the boiling water in one mug ignite the liquid with fire and while blazing mix both ingredients by pouring them four or five times from one mug to the other as represented in the cut If well done this will have the appearance of a continued stream of liquid fire Sweeten with one teaspoonful of pulverized white sugar and serve in a small bar tumbler with a piece of lemon peel